The Forbidden Rice - Black Rice (Manipur)
Despite being less popular than brown rice or wild rice, black rice, known as forbidden rice, is an ancient grain that has even more impressive health benefits than most other closely related rice varieties.
Black rice has been eaten in regions of Asia for thousands of years; in fact for centuries it was reserved for only Chinese royalty. Today this type of rice is picking up in popularity and popping up in more health food stores across the US, Australia, and Europe, as people discover the numerous health benefits that whole grain black rice has to offer.
Manipur is famous for black rice called ‘chakhao poireiton’, a highly nutritious variety with high mineral content including iron and amino acids. Black rice contains the antioxidant anthorcyanin, the same anti-cancer compound found in blueberries.
It contains around 160 calories and offers a very high amount of flavonoid phytonutrients, a good source of important fiber, substantial mineral content including iron and copper, and even a good source of plant based protein. Just the outside hull of the grain has one of the highest levels of anthocyanin antioxidants of any food
Benefits of black rice-
- High antioxidants including anthocyanins, the same anti-cancer compound found in blueberries. Anthorocyanin prevents free radical damage in the body and protects against various ailments like heart diseases, inflammation and cancer. Read more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin
- Improves Heart Health as it prevents Atherosclerosis- black rice helps in prevention of high BP and plaque formation in the heart. It also helps reduce LDL and HDL cholesterol.
- Can Help Detoxify the Body - Presence of high anti oxidants and phytonutrients helps reduce the oxidative stress in the body. As the body fights to eliminate toxins, the rice helps to repair and improve functions of each tissue; thereby improving the health of liver- one of the most important detoxifiers in our body. In other words- black rice helps liver remove the unwanted substances through its anti-oxidant activity.
- Good Source of Fiber Which Improves Digestive Health.
- Black rice takes longer to digest and helps slow down absorption of sugar in the blood- helps keep the sugar constant. Can help prevent Diabetes
- Helps preventing Obesity as it contains low calories and enough carbohydrates to keep you full and energetic.
- Great source of minerals like iron, manganese, magnesium, selenium and phosphorus etc. All these minerals help in several processed of the Human body.
- High source protein- with as much as 8.5 grams of protein in 100 grams serving.
Variety- Chakhao Poireiton
Should you require larger quantity, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org