Urad Dal (Blackgram)
H2H Blackgram is possibly the most representative daal of Uttarakhand and deeply embedded in its culture and tradition. No auspicious occasion is complete without Urad being served as part of food in different ways. For traditional recipes, click the Recipes tab.
Should you require larger quantity, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief: Chainsoo is prepared by using black gram daal. Normally due to the high protein content in this daal it is difficult to digest. However it is said that the bad effect gets nullified by roasting. Similar preparation with slight variation is made out of black bhat (a varity of soyabeen), but in that case it is called bhatwani.
- Black Gram seeds(Kali Urd whole) – 1 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup ( preferably mustard oil)
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 4 nos.
- Red chillies whole – 4 to 5
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Dry coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Place an iron frying pan (kadhai) on a moderate flame. Put Sabut Urad (black gram) in it and roast it without oil for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the pleasant aroma of roasted seeds comes. Do not over cook it. Take off the flame. Grind the roasted seeds into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the Kadahi and add garlic cloves.When the garlic turns lightl brown, add cumin seeds, red chillies,black pepper, and heeng (asafoetida)
- Immediately add the daal powder and fry it for 1-2 minute or so. Add turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and Cook till the daal becomes very soft. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Before taking off the heat, sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot steamed rice.